I was browsing Pinterest the other day looking for quinoa recipes and I came across this one. We love a good taco night around here and I'm so sick of boring rice and beans as a side. And to be honest I don't even really like rice. I was so excited when I found this. It turned out to be easy and delicious. Win-win!
Here's what you need:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilis (14.5 oz)
- 1 can black beans (15.5 oz)
- 1 can whole corn kernels (15.5 oz)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- grated cheddar cheese and sour cream (for topping)
WARNING: This makes a lot. It doesn't look like it when you start but the quinoa gets huge. Could easily serve 6 people.
Here's what you do:
1. In a large sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium/high heat and add garlic. Just saute until fragrant. Less than a minute.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the cilantro and the toppings) and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
4. Stir in cilantro just before serving and add toppings.